Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rhubarb!!! (part 2)

Here's the second part of my rhubarb adventure!
Rhubarb Upside Down Cakes

Starting with the same raw rhubarb stalks, I washed 'em, lopped off the ends, sliced them into thin pieces, covered them in sugar, and let them sit.

I probably used about 2 cups of sliced rhubarb (3 stalks) and 1 cup of sugar. They sat for abou 20 minutes while I was busy doing other things.
While the rhubarb was marinating in its sugar bath, I greased up a cupcake pan with some butter. Normally with this recipe, you'd use a cake pan and just make one big cake, but I'm single and don't want to have to run another marathon too soon, so I just made some little ones.

Either way, you're getting a delicious outcome, so please just do what feels right to you. :)
Then I mixed up the batter.
  • 1.5 sticks of butter at room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cup suger
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • some salt
  • 2 eggs beaten (don't flog them, just mix up the yolk and white a little
  • 1 cup sour cream
*you can add in some orange/lemon zest if you are feeling sassy
Evenly layer your now juicy and well sugared rhubarb in the bottom of your pan
Scoop out the batter and evenly distribute it in the pan
Now for the topping:
  • 4 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • salt
mix it all up till it's crumbly, and crumble it some more over your batter
Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
Mine took a little less because it came in smaller sizes (about 45 minutes)

When they're finished they'll look something like this!
(unless you do one big cake, then you should be worried if it looks like this....)
When you dish it out, remember to turn it upside down on the plate!
Nom, nom, nom.....
I told myself I didn't need to eat the whole thing. I actually stopped 1/2 way through.
But all I did 1/2 way through was snap this picture and then quickly gobble the rest up!
Seriously, I really tried to stop eating it.... It's just so good!!!


Anyhoo, that's the second part to my rhubarb adventure. I hope to have some more soonish. Because rhubarb is so awesome!
RHUBARB!!!

No comments: