Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How to Survive New York City without looking like a Tourist or spending money like a Reality TV Star

I had this great plan to do this fantastic blog all about New York City, but I lost my notes on the subject....so please bear with me.

The original thought was that I would have this initial blog post with links to my other posts on specific subjects. This may still happen, but I am nowhere near technologically savvy so it will be taking me some time....I'm sorry.

Nonetheless, without further ado, the following is my recommendation for ways to survive your next venture to the Big Apple

  1. Ride the Subway! I know it's scary, especially if you read my previous post on Subways...but it is worth the money you'll save on taxis and parking! Trust me. And it can be pretty and quaint!

  2. $2 breakfast. On any street corner, in any bodega, you will find the small coffee with cream and sugar paired with a bagel with schmear or donut for $2 (or thereabouts). DELICIOUS!!! And absolutely perfect for the subway ride. It comes in a paper bag ala Breakfast at Tiffany's. **NOTE** If it is important to you that you have a well-balanced breakfast, this is not for you.
  3. Site see on foot. Don't take those silly bus tours (unless you have severely limited time or you broke your leg the week before your trip), just walk. You'll save $$$ and burn serious calories. Plus, you never know what you'll see while walking around the city!
  4. Go to Macy's. It takes up an entire city block. It really is the Biggest Store in the World! You can walk around for HOURS. And their holiday decorations are fantabulous!
  5. Visit the memorials. There are hundreds in Manhattan alone, and they represent a very important part of our national history. Plus, they're free!

  6. MUSEUMS! I love museums. Almost all of them have a free day or have a 'donation' box instead of a per visitor fee. 'Nuff said, just go.
  7. Eat the street! Don't bother with all the frou frou restaurants (unless you're a total food snob, or you have tons of $$), you can get a lot of those famous chef's entrees in your local grocery store. China Town (I really hope that is the correct term for this neighborhood) is a great place to find cheap eats! I found 8 dumplings for $2. YUM! There are so many little hole-in-the-wall places to go to that have fantastic food for less than $5. I ate all 3 meals from bodegas or restaurants and spent less than $10 a day on food. Totally worth it and you feel like a New Yorker.

  8. Visit Rockefeller Plaza. It's way cool! They do have the store and the observation tower, but you don't need to do those. I stopped by and ate breakfast with the Today Show (while waiting for my train) more than once.

  9. Go to the Empire State Building. I didn't go up. $20 was out of my price range. But if you have a sweetie, definitely do it. I thought I'd save my ride up to the land of "An Affair to Remember" and "Sleepless in Seattle" until I had someone to go up with.
  10. Stay with friends. Ok, so I kinda cheated when I went to NYC. I didn't stay in a hotel, and I saved a ton of money. But I was there for a MONTH! It would have been ridiculous to pay for a hotel or even a hostel for that long, especially when I was still paying for my apartment in Michigan. Nonetheless, hostels are great to stay in and totally worth the money you'll save, but be sure to do your research on the quality of hostel. And the hotels in Manhattan are much cheaper (if booked in advance) than the ones outside of Manhattan. I know it doesn't sound right, but it's true!
I know the list isn't very long, but it's worth remembering when you travel! And if you go, say hi to the Lady for me!

2 comments:

Padded Cell Princess said...

You make me want to go even though big cities scare the heck out of me! I can just imagine all the fun places to eat, the picturesque sites, a whole block of Macy's!!! $20 to go up to the top of the Empire State Building is a bit much...yikes! Some day I'm sure we'll get over there. It looks like you had a great visit!

A single working girl seeking free time said...

Maggie : you should definitely go!!! You would love NYC! It is super busy, but much calmer during the day. And you would LOVE the shoe section at Macy's! AMAZING!!!