Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Favorite Building in Detroit

I have only lived in Detroit for a year and a half, but I've made my way around the city.

I have spent ample time downtown doing some work with my church. I love the buildings down there! There's so much history, and the architecture is superb!

I have driven around the historic neighborhoods and seen all the epic houses from the heyday of Henry Ford and his contemporaries. Did you know there's a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Detroit? It's made 100% from glass and cement. It's beautiful!

But none compare to the Michigan Central Station.

It's just stunning!

As you drive north into the city of Detroit, it is one of the first buildings you see. It is huge and definitely makes an impression.

Back in the day, this building was state of the art!

It was designed by the Warren & Wetmore and Reed & Stem firms who also designed New York City's Grand Central Terminal. It cost $15 million to build!


The last train left the station on January 6, 1988, and the station was permanently closed.

Now it sits in ruin.


It is used from time to time for movies, music videos, and tv shows.

Some of these pictures make me cry. I imagine all the beauty this building used to behold. And seeing the way it is being treated now/has been treated is so sad.

Although, I have to admit, some of the graffiti is pretty interesting.
It adds a sort of "Detroit Charm"....

And this last pic is just awesome!


If you want to learn more, go to:

"Ruins are the visible symbols and landmarks of our societies and their changes ... the volatile result of the change of eras and the fall of empires. This fragility leads us to watch them one very last time: to be dismayed, or to admire, it makes us wonder about the permanence of things."

Also, if you haven't watched the Eminem video "Beautiful", please do so now.

3 comments:

Padded Cell Princess said...

Wow. It would be nice if it were converted into a hotel...given that the economy pics up and it could actually be used. I love old buildings like that.

A single working girl seeking free time said...

If I had a million dollars and then some, I would do exactly that! It would be an amazing spot for a hotel!!

Anonymous said...

I just signed up for Pinterest but still couldn't figure out what it exactly is! Glad you updated your blog! :-)

- Jarboe